Friday, June 28, 2013

The National Gallery

Can you say breathtaking? And full of famous art? That I've only dreamed about seeing?

Like all these bathers, which are really huge paintings by the way:

Bathers, Paul Cézanne



Bathers at Asnieres, Georges Seurat






Or all this Turner:

The Fighting Temeraire, Joseph Mallord William Turner



Ulysses deriding Polyphemus- Homer's Odyssey, 



Margate, from the Sea



Rain, Steam, and Speed - The Great Western Railway






Or these other peices I recognised:

The Water-Lily Pond, 1899, Claude-Oscar Monet



The Execution of Maximilian, Edouard Manet



Portrait of a Man (Self Portrait?), Jan van Eyck



A Wheatfield, with Cypresses, Vincent Van Gogh



Portrait of Cézanne, Camille Pissarro



Avenue at Chantilly, Paul Cézanne



Virgin on the Rocks, Leonardo da Vinci



Van Gogh's Chair, Vincent van Gogh






Or these pieces that I didn't recognise, but really loved:

Whistlejacket, George Stubbs

The composition on this one is so beautiful. Stunning. I love the placement. Oh, and this is life-size. 



Irises, Claude-Oscar Monet



The Beach at Trouville, Claude-Oscar Monet



Emile Bernard, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

Old school Lautrec! This is before he hit his stride and found his own voice and style, and then eventually changed the world with his graphic and bold litho posters, to the point of ending up getting a full class period of lecture in HIstory of Graphic Design class two years ago. Thank you Professor Hale! Glad I paid attention.



Battle of San Romano, Paolo Uccello



The Magdalen Reading, Rogier van der Weyden



A Man Reading (Saint Ivo?), Rogier van der Weyden

I love this one and the one above because of the calligraphy that is included. In both portraits, the detail is incredible, sharp, and (if you can read latin) clear enough to read. But I think what I really love is seeing people interact with printed/written words, just a few years before the press was invented. Amazing. Thank you Professor Duvall, Honors Civ 2: the Power of Printing.



Lake Keitele, Akseli Gallen Kallela






But I think the crowning moment of the visit was this:

Giovanni Arnolfini and His Bride, Jan van Eyck
And Sarah Kay, who is not a Bride






Mom and Dad, this one's for you. Thank you for teaching me art my whole life, and from such a young age! I was able to appreciate so much art, and I've never ever taken an art history class. I think that goes to show some extraordinary parenting. This painting was everything and more than what Mom described  with such detail and love on more than one occasion.






All in all, it was an amazing visit. I bought an overpriced postcard of that cute couple to paste in my sketchbook. When I get one...

As we exited the museum (at closing. they shuffled us out, three minutes early) we saw this lovely view:

I spy Big Ben. And a Gay Pride concert.

The National Gallery. An amazing collection. Great way to end the day.
And then saw the front of the museum. Turns out we had originally entered the museum from the back way through the gift shop.

It was probably the best way to spend a Friday night in London.  

No comments:

Post a Comment